I’ve been wanting one of these noticeboards ever since I saw Jeanette at Lazy Seamstress make one a year or two back. I’ve had the materials ready for months and not go round to it but wanting to try out the Sew Simple glue from Bostik this month was the perfect push to get on with it.
It turned out to be stupidly simple to make something this good.
(Getting it hung up may be a very different matter though; it’s been made a week but is still languishing in the hallways 🙁 )
Ingredients: one large canvas painting rectangle (£4.95 from QD) and some fabric (don’t ask, it was Michael Miller stock and I was very naughty) tape and buttons plus a staple gun and Sew Simple Bostik Glue.
First I cut the fabric to size.
I entirely forgot to iron it, which means I have a crease on the front. Still, as my life is always full of paper I need to deal with, that won’t matter 😉
I placed the fabric right side down, the frame on top of it and staple-gunned it to the edge. Had I known how good the glue was, I wouldn’t have bothered to staple.
Then I cut ribbon lengths to cross hatch the front. I was dreadfully unscientific about this and it is mildly random, or as I like to call it, Merry-Rustic-Shabby. Ahem.I did one direction first and then crossed them over the other way. I think if I had had longer or was making another I might weave them for a more snug fit but as it was, it works okay. I secured the ends on the back of the board with Sew Simple. I didn’t really expect this to work and had back up green drawing pins ready, but it did. It’s really sticky (but peels off your fingers in a way that reminds me of primary school) and is stuck fast in 20 seconds or so. Pulling against it to get a snug fit across to the other side really did work fine.
After that was done I glued big green buttons on the crossovers to secure them together and on to the board. The glue dries almost clean and would have been fine had a small boy not decided to squidge them a bit. It does leave the fabric darker but the effect is minimal and wouldn’t be a problem if you were careful.
I finished it off with the flower from my Handmade Fair day 🙂
Disclosure: we are part of the Bostik Family Bloggers Scheme and receive glue products to try.