I wanted to have another go at something felted in Adriatic felting yarn. So far I’ve been disappointed with this wool felted though and happy with it when crocheted. Having had a book for my birthday with some east projects in it, I decided to give a simple clutch bag a go.
The bag itself is supremely easy and my confidence grew enormously as I made it however I started to like it more and more in its unfelted form as it grew and was really worried I’d spoil it. It took 4 balls of yarn to get to the side recommended and so at £16ish, it would be a big mistake to make. I did a test piece and, as expected, I wasn’t happy with the felted look compared to the unfelted look.
This left me with a problem as the top was certainly not strong enough without the strength of being wash in a hot wash added to it. I took advice and continued to crochet upward and, by repeating the handle section created a joined on interface which I planned to stitch down for strength. At this point a friend arrived and suggested I lined it with cotton to allow the cotton to take the weight of anything inside and prevent the rest of the bag stretching too much.
My iPhone never does pink justice for some reason. I have no idea why, it’s a lovely colour but looks way too cerise here or way too violet. Not right anyway.
I finished it off by stitching the lining in between the two layers of handle with cotton and then stitching the top edges of handle in the same way. I’m going to see how it copes with use and then I’ll either whip the edges of the handle for strength with more of the yarn or insert doweling into the tops of the bag on each side to spread the load across the whole bag. Either way, I’m really pleased with it. It was an easy make and looks lovely. If it wasn’t so material costly, I’d make them to sell but I don’t think anyone would pay what it would cost.