Just in the nick of time, the daffodil wreath got finished. I find it really helps me to make something in the run up to Freddie’s birthday. Out of eye shot of the girls who expect it to be the actual days that bother me, I’m able to process a lot of the emotions and put them into something creative. This year I’m just so pleased with what I made. It may be a tiny bit on the twee side, but it is most certainly one of the loveliest pieces of crochet I have done.
The wreath is on a 25cm polystyrene ring and covered entirely in crochet done in Rowan Hand knit crochet and a 3.5mm hook. The base was stripes of several greens and blues in a 30 stitch across rectangle all done in (UK) trebles. I made it until it was long enough to form a circle inside the ring then stitched the two short ends together using slip stitch, folded it outwards around the ring and then slip stitched it together on the back. It’s a really quick way to join it and flexible plus it makes a small ridge on the back which makes the ring sit slightly off the wall in a pleasing fashion.
For the daffodils I used the recent Simply Crochet daffodil pattern which was quite time consuming but worked very well.
The leaves are chains of variable lengths then DC, HTC and TC’s in a slope towards the end then similar back down to the point again. (From the point.. DC, DC,DC,DC,DC,DC,DC, HTC,HTC,HTC, TC,TC,TC, HTC,HTC down one side then back in the opposite direction back towards the point again for example).
For the Forgetmenots I tried a couple of patterns then invented my own.
Round 1: (yellow) 10DC into magic ring.
Round 2: (blue) *Make a cluster with 3 TC leaving last loop of each stitch on the hook till 3 looks. Close with a slip stitch then slip stitch down into the yellow base to make a small tight petal. Skip one DC and repeat cluster 4 more times.
For the cherry blossom I did very similar but make it slightly looser.
Round 1: (dark pink) 10 DC into magic ring.
Round 2: (light pink) *chain 3, 2TC leaving last loop on hook so 3 loops. Close with slip stitch. Slip stitch down into next DC along* Repeat 4 more times, moving to new stitch after the final slip stitch of each completed *…*. This makes it looser and flatter than the forgetmenot.
The magnolia I totally winged and it will take me ages to come up with a written version of that but the branches were just 2DC’s done in an upwards column, going into the side each time like a foundation row.
Making it up into something crowded and beautiful was very therapeutic. I stiffened it all with a combination of blocking (wetting the daffodils and drying them with their centre filled with wet tissue paper was essential) and spray on starch.
So there you have it. A birthday gift for a daffodil boy from his mummy. But one that gave me a lot of joy and has pride of place in the room.